Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend!


On Monday May 30th, 2011, our nation will celebrate Memorial Day. Memorial Day is the annual commemoration to the men and women who have died while in military service to the United States. Personally, I do not have immediate family members or friends who have died in the line of duty. My Grandpa Treas did serve during World World II, my Dad Jimmy served in the Navy, my other Dad Ray served in the Army National Guard, my Uncle Johnny served in Vietnam and a few of my cousins have served as well. Needless to say, I am very supportive of our military and anytime I find out someone has served our country in this way, I always make a point to thank them for their service. Just yesterday, at a wedding rehearsal, I met a man who had served in the Korean War in the United States Air Force.

I can say that I have a strong acquaintance with someone who served as a Navy Chaplain and did give his life in Vietnam. Servant of God Vincent Capodanno is a man who has encouraged me in my priesthood over the years through his own priestly example and ultimately with the sacrifice he made for the marines that he served. His cause for canonization is underway. He had served for some time as a Maryknoll missionary priest. Eventually, he felt the call from God to serve our nation in the marines to the soldiers in Vietnam.

Hopefully, one day soon, Fr. Capodanno will be declared Blessed Vincent Capodonno and then Saint Vincent Capodanno. He was known by his marines as "The Grunt Padre" because he met his marines where they were at and he shared with them that no matter what, they would be alright. The book The Grunt Padre by Fr. Daniel Mode is what helped me to get to know this holy man and priest. The video at the end of this post will give you more of an idea of the life Servant of God Vincent Capodanno lived and how he touched so many lives.

Thank you to all the men and women who have served to protect our freedoms as Americans. There are so many who are serving right now and who are in harms way so that we may be free. We cannot take their service and sacrifices for granted because they are not for themselves but for you and I. Also, we must never forget them and keep them in our prayers. Happy Memorial Day!

Enjoy these tributes to Fr. Capodanno found at the following website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pgcXacm538

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN0m3ouB_YI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmSKiTulI68&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qbDzwOv9Y&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment