Sunday, May 29, 2011

100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 Race!

I was fortunate to get invited to the Indianapolis 500 today. After the 8:00AM Mass for the 6th Sunday of Easter, I waited for Fr. Raymond who had the 8:00AM Mass at Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Anyway, he finally arrived and we were on our way. The weather was great for racing and the atmosphere was very exciting. Prior to the race, many of our service men and women processed down the track. I was very proud of them! Also, the new Auxilary Bishop Coyne of Indianapolis gave the prayer and eventually an amazing flyover captured everyone's attention. I believe it was a Stealth Bomber. Here is a clip (taken with my iPhone) of what we experienced: 



The day went by quite quickly because there were very few crashes and yellow flag delays for the drivers. Since it was Memorial Day, I decided pretty early on in the race to root for the #4 car with the National Guard advertisement  and a great rookie driver named JR Hildebrand. He did quite well until the very last lap when he unfortunately hit the wall and took second place. Congrats to Dan Wheldon who took the checkered flag. I came across the video of the finish since I was not able to see what happened at the track. Here is that video:



All in all, today was a great day! Mass at 8:00AM followed by an incredible Indy 500 Race. I was also so glad that our service men and women received so much encouragement from the race fans for all that they do for the United States of America. We are a blessed nation to be free. It was awesome to be able to be part of the greatest spectacle in racing once again. 


I also forgot to mention something else that happened today before the race. My nephew pointed this out to me because he watched some of the race from New York. Anyway, today a world record was broken. A life size Hot Wheels car made an incredible jump. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment