Monday, March 21, 2011

Saints, Saints and Even More Saints...

The first full week of Lent normally includes three wonderful saints. For me personally and for members of my family, last week was kind of a tough one this year in 2011. My mother Laurie Janko of happy memory passed away on March 18th, 2001. This was the 10th year of her passing. I cannot believe how quickly 10 years have flown by. 

But, last week was very special to me. During the final days of my mother's life in March of 2001, I witnessed an outpouring of love from so many amazing people. My mother's friends came from as far as Baltimore, MD to share with her their love and concern. Additionally, her siblings (she has five) were either on their way to Indiana to see her or were calling just about everyday. I was so delighted to be reminded of just how much my mom had impacted so many lives in her 59 years of life. It was truly amazing to me. I am also thankful for the priestly support mom received prior to her passing. She must have received the Anointing of the Sick 2-3 times while she was at Saint Vincent's Hospice in Indianapolis. She had multiple priests visit her and even more seminarians from my seminary, the Pontifical College Josephinum (Columbus, OH),who came to visit my mother Laurie Janko. 

The date of her going home to the Lord was no coincidence. Mom's final day on this earth was couched between March 17th, the Feast of Saint Patrick (Apostle of Ireland) and March 19th, the Solemnity of Saint Joseph (Patron Saint of a Happy Death). March 18th happened to also be another saint day - Saint Cyril of Jerusalem (Bishop and Doctor of the Church). My mother and all of us who loved her felt such strong support from members of our family, friends, priests, religious and seminarians. But, we also felt strong support and encouragement from many of the members of our family in Heaven: God our Heavenly Father, Jesus the Son and our Savior, Holy Spirit who guides our every step, Mary the Mother of our Lord and our Spiritual Mother, Saint Joseph, Saint Patrick and Saint Cyril of Jerusalem. Thank you everyone who prayed for my mom and thank you family in heaven who continue to pray for me! 

Saint Patrick!
Thursday March 17th brought to our attention you,the Apostle of Ireland, who worked tirelessly as a bishop for many years assisting the native peoples and winning many converts to the Catholic Faith. The connection you have with our family is awesome. Great-Grandpa Moran and his wife were Irish through and through. I am honored to have as my middle name "Moran." Your prayer, the Breast-Plate (Lorica),has always been a favorite of mine. I am so thankful that Jesus is with me in my life. Please keep praying for me Saint Patrick!

Saint Joseph!
Saturday March 19th was your day, a day for such a special man who was called by God to be the Foster Father of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. What a honor it must have been to hold him in your arms when He was just a baby, to teach Him the carpenter's trade and to take your final breaths in His presence and in the presence of Mary your wife. You are such a wonderful model for me in my life. Thank you also for praying for my mom Laurie in her final hour. She truly had a peaceful death surrounded by her family and friends. I am always encouraged when I read the 1900 year old prayer with you in mind.

Well, that is all for now. I just had to get some thoughts out after last week. It was a beautiful week with so many Lenten blessings, wonderful saints to be encouraged by and of course the memories of my mom Laurie Janko. Mom, I love you forever! I will see you in the Eucharist tomorrow at 11:00AM at Saint Joan of Arc in Kokomo, IN. 


Father Joshua (Josh)



No comments:

Post a Comment