Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Prayers and Praying in the Desert of Lent

Today is Tuesday of the 1st Week of Lent. There is so much going on in our world. We are of course praying for and concerned for our brothers and sisters in Japan. It is incredible to know that so many people are already reaching out to help with prayers, financial assistance and even personal visits to extend a helping hand. This is another reminder of the goodness of God that resides inside every person on this planet. There is so much visible hope when disaster in our world strikes. I am also thankful to share that a friend of mine from college who is from Japan named Aki and her family are safe and sound. I pray for people who have loved ones in Japan who are still missing and all the victims.

There is also the Season of Lent, a time of renewal and going deeper into our hearts, in order for us to be able to battle the temptations and evil in our lives. This is one of the points that I shared this past weekend in my homily for the First Sunday of Lent. The point I tried to make was that Jesus was led out into the desert by the Spirit to be tempted by the devil, but according to Saint Matthew's Gospel account (4:1-11), it seems that Jesus wasn't tempted UNTIL AFTER He had His experience in the desert for 40 days and 40 nights. I shared the thought that Jesus' time in the desert prepared Him for the impending temptations because He had the time to pray, to look more deeply into Himself, to grow in His relationship with the Father and to grow in His dependence on the Father for everything. Of course, this connection we have with Jesus is helpful to us as we are also striving to grow during the Season of Lent, especially in our relationship with God the Father. 


This Season of Lent has also been a blessing for me as a priest. The schedule is getting to be more busy, but I am making sure that I do not allow this reality to distract me from allowing myself the time for more prayer. I recently met with a couple other priests. We were able to support each other as brothers by sharing with each other how we were each REALLY doing. The format we had for the meeting gave us ample time to share our struggles as well as our successes. It will also help us in the future to be able to regularly share with each other good ideas that we have found helpful in our work as priests. I am thankful to God for my brother priests who know exactly what I am going through in the vocation God has called me to. 

Well, I will leave you with a great prayer that I was recently re-introduced to when I was invited to a family's home for dinner. They were so gracious to have me over and we started our evening out with some prayers, including a great prayer by St. Therese of Lisieux. Please pray for priests in our world who are struggling and for priests who have made terrible mistakes, but also for priests who are faithful and priests who are bringing so many souls to God through their ministry as doctors of souls.


Prayer for Priests by St. Therese of Lisieux


O Jesus, eternal Priest,
keep your priests within the shelter of Your Sacred Heart,
where none may touch them.

Keep unstained their anointed hands,
which daily touch Your Sacred Body.

Keep unsullied their lips,
daily purpled with your Precious Blood.

Keep pure and unearthly their hearts,
sealed with the sublime mark of the priesthood.

Let Your holy love surround them and
shield them from the world's contagion.

Bless their labors with abundant fruit and
may the souls to whom they minister
be their joy and consolation
here and in heaven their beautiful and
everlasting crown.

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Really beautiful prayer. I'll copy this and make it part of my prayer rotation. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patrick... I appreciate your prayers...
    God bless you this Lent!
    Fr. Joshua

    ReplyDelete