Friday, August 27, 2010

Memorial of Saint Monica

Saint Monica (322?-387) was a honorable and loving mother of Saint Augustine of Hippo. I do not want to go into a complete biography of her for you, but you can certainly learn more about this amazing woman by clicking here
Saint Augustine with his mother Saint Monica
I would like to point out that Saint Monica was wonderful in that she was patient and resolute in her desire to help her family members come to know God. Eventually after many years of offering prayers, sacrifices and fasts, her hearts desire was fulfilled when her son Augustine, her husband Patricius and her mother-in-law all came to the faith in baptism. It is interesting to note how her humble example of Christian charity helped to win over those that she loved. I enjoyed learning about her persistence with her son Augustine after he had fallen into the Manichean heresy and an immoral lifestyle. She followed him to Rome and upon reaching her destination, she learned that he was in Milan. Finally, after arriving in Milan, Saint Monica sought spiritual direction with Bishop Ambrose of Milan who helped with bringing her son Augustine to the faith. He was baptized in 387 and this was what she had prayed so fervently for throughout her life.

Saint Monica is the patron saint for mothers. I would say also that she could be considered the patron saint of patience. I want to thank my mother Laurie for raising me so well, and for all mothers out there. You all have embraced a vocation that is not only sacrificial, but inspiring as well. I am going to pray in a special way today for all mothers, expectant mothers and mothers who are considering abortion. May God the giver of all life help mothers to fulfill His plan for them and for their children. Saint Monica, pray for us!

Fr. J

2 comments:

  1. St. Monica show the love, patience and compassion that seems to be missing today. Thank you for sharing her story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. Janko, I love this post! St. Monica is my patron saint, and my blog is titled under her patronage. :) She is such a beautiful example of prayer, patience, and love!

    ReplyDelete