Saturday, April 9, 2011

500 Festival 15K Training Run... Getting Ready for the Race for Vocations May 7th, 2011

Today was the last of three training runs to help me to get ready for the 500 Festival Mini Marathon next month. There was a 5K run in February, a 10K run in March and then finally, a 15K run just today. I have had some ongoing struggles with shin splints. I dealt with this problem when I was preparing for the New York City Marathon last November. It is not easy to train when you have a nagging injury. So, I just have been trying my best. I certainly can try to run more consistently each week. That would be a prayer request: God, help Father Joshua to remain disciplined in his running. Amen. Also, if you have a nagging injury, pray to God about it. He can definitely help you. Try not to get discouraged, but see how you may be able to learn from the experience.

Anyway, today, I did surprise myself in completing the 15K run (9.3 miles) in a satisfactory time of 1:07:06. Thank you God! The other bonus for today's run was that the good Lord held the rain off for us so we could get in without being completely soaked. I am so grateful for that. I was also thankful to have had the support of a wonderful parishioner named Jack. We were able to complete each of the three training runs this year. This is first for me! It is definitely good to get in some races before the Mini Marathon. The Mini will be here very soon.

So, the results from my run today are at the following website http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78078448. I ran with Jack for two miles. He then told me to go on ahead and see what I could do. I did that, got into a groove and really worked on my last three miles (6:59, 6:58, 6:41). I also made myself encourage people if and when I passed them.

I will conclude this post with a brief note that was sent to the members of the Race for Vocations Team. If you would like to be part of our team, please sign up soon here so you can enjoy being part of an incredible cause for Vocations. Also, if you want to come down for the Mass and Dinner the evening before, please contact Courtney Mitchell at cmitchell@archindy.org or callher at 317-236-1490.

Here is the note:

Hello Race for Vocations Team Members,

Can you believe that in just about five weeks or so, we will be toeing the line of our Race for Vocations downtown Indianapolis! In these weeks ahead, let us be reminded of the following powerful words from Saint Paul about the race for eternal life, "I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith." (II Timothy 4:7) May this scripture be a guiding light for both the Race for Vocations and in our lives as we run the good race for holiness, which is the primary vocation that we all share!

In these coming weeks, you will be receiving emails with reflections on the various vocations in the Church. The reflections are from the hearts of a number of the individuals from our Race for Vocations Committee who have been working diligently since last years Race for Vocations to get us ready for 2011. As well, I would encourage you to continue to pray for vocations to the priesthood, consecrated/religious life, sacred married life and sacred single life as you train in these final weeks of preparation.

This week, let us focus on the aforementioned scripture from II Timothy 4:7. In reflecting on this passage, you might contemplate the following questions in your prayer and as you train:

1) How am doing in running the race to holiness?
2) How am I allowing God to feed me and help me in growing in faithfulness?
3) Am I competing well in my relationship with God and with His people?
4) How am I encouraging others to run the good race?

5) Am I remaining open to God with the life He has given to me?

Please be sure to ask others to pledge prayers for your Race. You may post their prayer pledges on Facebook at our Facebook page Race for Vocations.

Please Save the Following Important Dates!!!

Mass for Vocations: Friday, May 6, 2011, 6:30 pm at St. John's downtown! We are not sure if Archbishop Buechlein or Bishop Coyne will be presiding. Either way, we will have one of them to celebrate the Mass for Vocations along with many priests, seminarians, religious and lay people.


Pasta Dinner: Friday, May 6, 2011, immediately following the Mass for Vocations under the big top tent in St. John's parking lot! Free will donation accepted. All runners and their families/friends are invited to attend. RSVP with Courtney Mitchell at cmitchell@archindy.org


Race for Vocations: Saturday, May 7, 2011, Indianapolis Mini-Marathon and 5K.

OK Race for Vocations Team, have a great April and get ready for the 2011 Race for Vocations!!!

I will leave you with some great words from the Servant of God John Paul II for some food for thought in the days to come:

“It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35). What we have here is not simply a moral exhortation, or a command which comes to us from without. The inclination to give is rooted in the depths of the human heart: every person is conscious of a desire to interact with others and everyone finds fulfillment in a free gift of self to others” (MESSAGE OF HIS HOLINESS JOHN PAUL II FOR LENT 2003).

In His Priesthood,

Father Joshua M. Janko

No comments:

Post a Comment